To be used by Got Users clients and community.
Using a computer well is an undervalued skill. It gives you an unfair advantage to research faster, write faster, and get more work done.
Below is the 80/20 of the most important hacks to use your computer faster.
Your goal should be to only use the keyboard and never touch the mouse. Once you’ve leveled up, it should feel like you’re playing an instrument.
As you run through the levels, make sure you’re physically typing out the shortcuts until they become muscle memory. Otherwise you won’t internalize them.
We recommend learning 3-5 of these per day so you can layer on learnings and don’t overwhelm yourself.
Also, the shortcuts below assume you’re using a Mac and Google Chrome. If you’re on a PC, the control key usually replaces the command key and the alt key usually replaces the option key.
Level 1: Browser Basics
- If that doesn’t work, try Command + Shift + [ and Command + Shift + ] instead.
- Don’t install The Great Suspender. That’s the original, but its new owners added malware ☹️
- This removes most YouTube ads so you don’t have to wait or click to skip. (Without buying premium.)
- Notion doesn’t let us link this directly 😠
gthen hit enter. You should show up at Gmail.
- We recommend Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Forms, etc.
- This should eventually replace your bookmark bar.
Level 2: Computer Settings & Programs
These take 1-2 days to get used to, but you can never go back.
sysis usually enough). Hit enter. Type “Keyboard” and hit enter.
qso you don’t actually type them. For example:
q12→ 1234 Main St, San Francisco CA, 94123
Level 3: Text Basics
You can make a copy of this Google Doc (File > Make a Copy) to play around with the shortcuts below.
Level 4: Google Sheets
Make a copy of this sheet to play around with.
Remember, you can always Command + Z to undo.